I was just considering the last seventy years and what might be in store for the rest of my time here. My mind considered relationships with those going through this world with me and those who helped fashion me.
I interacted with a lot of different individuals:
- For some, I made life more palatable.
- For some, I made life more miserable.
- For some, they were actually glad I was here with them in the journey.
- For some, I have been a drag on their progress.
- Some have enjoyed my part in their life.
- Some wished I had never been born.
But I’m here because:
- A family loved me every day.
- Gram was my kindergarten teacher.
- Gram was French and put cold pork chops in the oven when we were coming over.
- My first-grade teacher saw something in me that no one else saw and I responded to her efforts.
- My fourth-grade teacher forced me to memorize the multiplication table out of fear.
- My seventh-grade teacher instilled the horror of being left behind when the rest of the class was promoted.
- My eighth-grade teacher taught me how to diagram a sentence.
- Mr. Dunham was off the wall, but held our interest when he taught history.
- I had to write stuff in English class.
- In college, Dr. Kressel also brought history to life but lost his mind along the way.
- I met a girl that would put up with me for half a century.
- After marriage my mother-in-law promoted me to sonship.
- Mr. Dowie taught the book of Genesis.
- Paula corrects all my work.
- The church put up with me for 40 years.
Here are some verses that give me hope for the time I have left here:
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
How about you? Give it some thought.